Wednesday, November 23, 2011

2011 Gyokuro Hoshino

Of all the Japanese whole leaf teas, Gyokuro is the most prized.  In early spring, when the first new shoots start growing on the tea trees, the plants are shaded from the sun for the last 20 days before being harvested.  By reducing the sunlight, the tea leaves compensate by producing more chlorophyll and less catechins.  This results in a tea with more sweetness and less astringency.  Because of the intense conditions this puts the plant through, Gyokuro is only harvested once per year to allow the tree to recover.



Equipment
I used a gaiwan and infused the liquor into a glass sharing pitcher with a metal strainer.  I prefer to use a metal strainer instead of glass with Japanese tea, because the leaves are finer and tend to get stuck in the glass slits. 


Brewing Method
I tried two different temperatures to see if there was any difference. First I brewed it at 70C for 10 seconds.  While the dry leaf had a minty, flowery smell, the wet leaves had more of a vegetal, peppery aroma.  The taste was also vegetal and savoury with hints of sweet.  It had a slight dryness but no astringency. Through more infusions I could taste subtle notes of pear and lemongrass.

Next I brewed it at 80C.  The colour of the liquor was a brighter green this time.  This is because hot water generally results in a faster release of the teas properties.  This time the taste is more bold and less sweet, with a sunflower seed flavour. 

With both teas the more times I brewed the the sweeter and lighter the flavour got.  In the end, the tea handled so many infusions that it outlasted me and my bladder!


Gyokuro is a great tea for when you don't have to rush about and want to give yourself some time to relax.  It demands attention from all of your senses and fills you with a duality of calmness and energy.  After several cups of gyokuro, I always feel ready to take on the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment